Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Why Organic?

For years I lived in the dark about why organic was better.

I assumed that it cost more money because the vegetables were fresher, or the fruit was bigger....  I learned that it is the practices of organic farmers that make the difference.  It goes beyond fertilizer  on your produce (which, to the point, you wouldn't want to eat out of the bag) to the hormones and antibiotics that are used to keep the animals healthy.

I follow a great blog called "Mambo Sprouts" and they always have great articles about Green living.  Here's one:  Why Choose Organic?  I'll probably post entries from them a lot, because they have so much great information!

What else do you want to know about buying organic?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HI, Marie. Thanks for visiting my blog...and for your kind words about violet! It's a great color - isn't it?

I'm in northern CA, and have been eating more and more organic each year. We have access to such amazing local produce, there's really no excuse. We get an organic produce delivery once a week, and that's been wonderful. There are way too many unknowns in our food system, I hesitate to eat anything that ISN'T organic anymore. I definitely notice that the flavor is typically better, and, contrary to what many people think, it's really not that much more expensive. If anyone isn't happy with the current food system, the best thing you can do is vote with your dollar.

Anyway, glad to see a new face on the blog. Happy Thursday.

Kelly