Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ruthie and Charlie's Visit: Part 2

Day 2: After some sleep we wanted to show R&C around our little neck of the woods. We took a stroll so they could see where I get the bus, my favorite bakery, and Cookie's route. Chris had to go back to the office (on a Sunday, ugh...the Army doesn't take a day off!) so I took R&C for their first Korean meal. We had BBQ pork! mmm.... I took them to the same place where I had my first Korean restaurant experience. They were pros! Oh, except when one of the waitresses laughed at Ruthie for using one of her chop sticks as a knife to spread the chili paste on her leave. They seemed to like it, so I was glad. If you don't like the food in Korea, it will be a rough visit.

Day 3: Skype date with the Fowlers back in CA. Then we went and explored down town Pyeongtaek. I took R&C to a Korean market. There are tons of outdoor markets that happen around the area. They sell fresh vegetables, fruits, fish, and much more (ruff, ruff). I had to let them see and experience for themselves. Then we went up to the observation deck of AK Plaza to look down on the city. I hadn't been up there so it was new for me too!

When Chris got home from work we took the car down to Asan. I had heard there was a tomb for Admiral Yi, a famous Korean war hero, down there and it was a short drive. We also saw signs for a "seawall" and thought that would be a cool sight. The memorial tomb had closed by the time we got there (darn gov't workers and their 9-5 hours) so we drove on to find the seawall. We drove a few more miles and then stopped seeing signs for the wall. Chris pulled over into a park area. When we got out, we all looked out at the river and there it was: We had driven OVER the sea wall! There wasn't much to see, so we decided to play in the park for a bit.

Day 4: We woke up and it was pouring. We decided to head over to Songtan. Ruthie had heard about "Dr. Fish" and there was a place there that we decided to explore. We walked around trying to find it because the only directions I could find were "somewhere down a street on the right passed the Gargoyle bar place." <-- Obviously, we had little to go on. But, we walked around in a few circles, until Ruthie pointed to a sign that read "Dr. Fish"!

The place was a nail salon, so everyone there was getting manicures and pedicures. In the back there was a small pool with fish. You had to first wash your feet with soap and water. Then, slowly lower your feet into the pool. The fish swarmed!! You can watch a video of Ruthie getting in the water here. It was sooo weird. I finally dipped my feet in and I found it hard not to giggle. My feet felt softer afterwards, but I'm not sure if it was the fish, or soaking my feet in warm water for 15 minutes. :)

Then we had a cup of coffee and waited for Chris to get off of work. Ruthie bought a fantastic gold "Coach" bag. Then we went to Chris' favorite restaurant, White House, for Bulgogi. Ruthie and Charlie got to try Soju, which is kinda like Sake, but tastes better.

No comments: